(Specific Reading Disability)
|Language Center of the Brain|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Dyslexia may present as difficulty in the following areas
- Learning to speak
- Reading and writing at grade level
- Organizing written and spoken language
- Learning letters and their sounds
- Learning number facts
- Learning a foreign language
- Correctly doing math problems
- Cognitive processing tests (measure of thinking ability)
- IQ test (measure of intellectual functioning)
- Tests to measure speaking, reading, spelling, and writing skills
- Teach small amounts of information at a time
- Teach the same concepts many times (“over-teaching”)
- Use all the senses—hearing, vision, voice, and touch—to enhance learning (multisensory reinforcement)
- Audio taping classroom lessons, homework assignments, and texts
- Using flashcards
- Sitting in the front of the classroom
- Using a computer with spelling and grammar checks
- Receiving more time to complete homework or tests
International Dyslexia Association http://www.interdys.org/
National Center for Learning Disabilities http://www.ld.org/
Canadian Dyslexia Association http://www.dyslexiaassociation.ca/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Dyslexia. National Center for Learning Disabilities website. Available at:http://www.ncld.org/types-learning-disabilities/dyslexia . Accessed January 2, 2013.
Dyslexia. KidsHealth.org website. Available at: http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/health%5Fproblems/learning%5Fproblem/dyslexia.html . Updated July 2012. Accessed January 2, 2013.
Dyslexia basics. International Dyslexia Association website. Available at: http://www.interdys.org/ewebeditpro5/upload/DyslexiaBasicsREVMay2012.pdf . Accessed January 2, 2013.
Frequently asked questions about dyslexia. International Dyslexia Association website. Available at: http://www.interdys.org/FAQ.htm . Accessed January 2, 2013.
Kids with dyslexia. KidsHealth.org website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/learning/dyslexia.html . Updated July 2012. Accessed January 2, 2013.
Understanding dyslexia. KidsHealth.org website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/teen/school%5Fjobs/school/dyslexia.html . Updated July 2012. Accessed January 2, 2013.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 01/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/02/2013 -