(Replacement, Total Shoulder; Shoulder Joint Replacement; Replacement, Shoulder Joint; Total Shoulder Joint Replacement; Replacement, Total Shoulder Joint)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Chronic shoulder pain and stiffness
- Shoulder instability
- Nerve damage
- Loose shoulder joint
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Anti-arthritis medications
- General anesthesia—you will be asleep through the surgery
- Regional anesthesia—used to block pain in the upper body, but you will not be asleep
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Pain medications
- Antibiotics to prevent infection
- Medication to prevent blood clots
- X-rays to evaluate the new shoulder joint
- Follow your doctor’s instructions for cleaning the incision site and wearing the arm sling.
- Ask your doctor about when it is safe to shower, bathe, or soak in water.
- Ask your doctor about when it is safe to drive.
- Be sure to follow all your doctor’s instructions.
Call Your Doctor
- Shoulder stiffness, pain, or instability
- Problems at the incision site, such as bleeding or drainage
- Signs of an infections such as fevers, chills, redness, or warmth
- Numbness or tingling in your shoulder, arm, or fingers
American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
Arthroplasty. John Hopkins Medicine website. Available at: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/test%5Fprocedures/orthopaedic/arthroplasty%5F92,P07677. Accessed November 19, 2013.
Degenerative joint disease of the glenohumeral joint. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated August 7, 2013. Accessed November 19, 2013.
Joint replacement—shoulder. Cleveland Clinic website. Available at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/shoulder%5Freplacement/hic%5Ftotal%5Fshoulder%5Fjoint%5Freplacement.aspx. Updated July 21, 2009. Accessed November 19, 2013.
Shoulder joint replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00094. Updated December 2011. Accessed November 19, 2013.
Shoulder replacement surgery: diagnosis, treatment, and recovery. Hospital for Special Surgery website. Available at: http://www.hss.org/conditions%5FShoulder-Replacement-Surgery-Diagnosis-Treatment-Recovery.asp. Updated July 1, 2013. Accessed November 19, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2013 -
- Update Date: 11/19/2013 -