Lower Leg Venography
Lower Leg Venography
Reasons for Test
- Diagnose deep vein thrombosis —a blood clot deep within the leg that may lead to a pulmonary embolism , which is an obstruction of a blood vessel in the lungs
- Find obstructions in the veins
- Assess vein problems you have had since birth
- Assess the functioning of deep leg vein valves
- Find a vein that will be used to make a bypass graft
|Deep Vein Thrombosis|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Tissue damage
- Phlebitis—inflammation of a vein
- Allergic reactions to the contrast material
- Kidney damage
- Forming blood clots
What to Expect
Prior to Test
Description of Test
- When you get home from the test, take it easy for the rest of the day and try to avoid any strenuous activity.
- Drink large amounts of fluid for the next 24 hours to help flush the remaining contrast from your body.
- You may remove the bandage the day after your test.
- Observe the injection site for any swelling, heat, redness, pain, or drainage. The injection area may be sore for a few days.
- If any bleeding or swelling occurs at the injection or puncture site, put pressure on the site for at least 10 minutes.
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection , including fever or chills
- Swelling, redness, or pain at the injection site
- Itching, rash, or other signs of an allergic reaction
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov
Society of Interventional Radiology http://www.sirweb.org
Canadian Cardiovascular Society http://www.ccs.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Venography. Heart Heathy Women website. Available at: http://www.hearthealthywomen.org/tests-diagnosis/peripheral-vascular-disease/venography.html. Accessed May 20, 2013.
Venography (venogram). Radiologic Society of North America Radiology Info website. Available at: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=venography. Updated August 31, 2013. Accessed May 20. 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 03/2014 -
- Update Date: 00/50/2014 -