Diagnosis of Stroke
Diagnosis of Stroke
Tests to Evaluate Stroke and Effect of Stroke
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)—to measure electrical activity of the brain via electrodes placed on your head
- Evoked response test—to measure how your brain processes sensory information
Tests to Evaluate the Heart
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)—To test the heart's electrical activity by measuring electrical currents through the heart muscle. A healthy heart creates a specific pattern on an EKG. A previous heart attack and heart damage will cause disruptions to this pattern. It can also be used to diagnose atrial fibrillation .
- Electrocardiogram —Ultrasound detects abnormalities in the heart muscle by highlighting areas of poor blood flow.
- Holter monitor—A small machine is belted around your waist and will record your heart rhythm over a period of 24 hours or more. It may be able to detect any rhythm abnormalities after a stroke.
Albers GW, Amarenco P, Easton JD, et al. Antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy for ischemic stroke: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2008;133(suppl 6):887S-968S.
Carpenter, C, Keim S, Milne W, Meurer W, Barsan W. Thrombolytic therapy for acute ischemic stroke beyond three hours. J Emerg Med. 2010; June 23rd [Epub ahead of print].
How is a stroke diagnosed? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/stroke/diagnosis.html. Updated March 26, 2014. Accessed June 13, 2014.
Neuroimaging for acute stroke. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated May 15, 2013. Accessed June 13, 2014.
Stroke (acute management). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated May 22, 2014. Accessed June 13, 2014.
Stroke diagnosis. American Stroke Association website. Available at: http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/AboutStroke/Diagnosis/Stroke-Diagnosis%5FUCM%5F310890%5FArticle.jsp. Updated November 21, 2012. Accessed June 13, 2014.
tPA treatments for stroke. Jefferson University Hospitals website. Available at: http://hospitals.jefferson.edu/tests-and-treatments/tpa-treatments-for-stroke. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -