What Is a Low-Protein Diet?
Why Should I Follow a Low-Protein Diet?
Low-Protein Diet Basics
Eating Guide for a Low-Protein Diet
Meat and Meat Substitutes
|Beef, poultry, fish, lamb, veal||1 ounce|
|Cheese||1 ounce or ¼ cup shredded|
|Peanut butter||2 tablespoon|
|Dried peas or beans (cooked)||½ cup|
|Milk, cream, and yogurt||½ cup|
|Ice cream||¾ cup|
|Bagel (varies), 4-ounce||¼ of a bagel (1-ounce)|
|Bread (white, pumpernickel, whole wheat, rye)||1 slice|
|Broth-based soup||1 cup|
|Cooked beans, peas, or corn||½ cup|
|Cooked cereal||½ cup|
|English muffin, hot dog bun, or hamburger bun||½|
|Potato||1 small or ½ cup mashed|
|Sweet potato or yam||½ cup|
|Unsweetened, dry cereal||¾ cup|
|Cooked vegetables||½ cup|
|Raw vegetables||1 cup|
|Tomato or vegetable juice||½ cup|
|Canned fruit||½ cup|
|Dried fruit||¼ cup|
|Fresh fruit||1 small or 1 cup (eg, cut up or berries)|
|Fresh juice||½ cup|
Fats and Sugars
- When planning a meal or filling your plate with food, focus on the vegetables and grains, and then supplement with a small serving of meat, if desired.
- When preparing meals at home, be sure to weigh (with a kitchen scale) and measure your foods to make sure you are getting the correct portion size.
- Ask your dietitian about special low-protein products, including low-protein baking mixes, breads, cookies, and crackers.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org
National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org
Dietitians of Canada http://www.dietitians.ca
The Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ca
Enjoy your own recipies using less protein. National Kidney Foundation website. Available at: http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/enjoy.cfm. Accessed November 17, 2014.
Low-protein diet postpones dialysis. John Hopkins Medicine website. Available at: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press/1999/FEBRUARY/990215.HTM. Published February 15, 1999. Accessed November 17, 2014.
Nutrition care manual. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. Available at: http://nutritioncaremanual.org/auth.cfm?p=%2Findex.cfm%3F. Accessed November 17, 2014.
Powers M. American Dietetic Association Guide to Eating Right When You Have Diabetes. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc; 2003.
- Reviewer: Dianne Scheinberg Rishikof MS, RD, LDN
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 11/17/2014 -