( Phlebitis; Thrombophlebitis)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Trauma especially to the lower leg
- Blood clotting disorder
- Sitting for long periods of time, such as riding in a car or on an airplane
- Prolonged bed rest
- Prior episodes of phlebitis
- Certain cancers
- Paralysis, which may be caused by a stroke
- Family history of blood clotting disorders
- A visible, cord-like vein that is tender and sensitive to pressure; this visibility may develop over several hours to days
- Redness and warmth surrounding the vein
- Swelling around the vein
- Venogram in which dye or contrast is injected
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen
- Compression stockings
- Warm compress on the inflamed vein
- Blood thinning medication
- Procedures to remove the blood clot
- If you fly for long periods of time, walk around the cabin and stretch your limbs every hour or so.
- If you drive for long periods of time, pull over every hour or so and stretch your limbs.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing around your waist.
- Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
American College of Phlebology http://www.phlebology.org
The Society for Vascular Surgery http://www.vascularweb.org
Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery http://canadianvascular.ca
Public Health Agency of Canada http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca
McQuillan AD, Eikelboom JW, Baker RI. Venous thromboembolism in travelers: can we identify those at risk? Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2003 Oct;14(7):671-5.
Ramzi DW, Leeper KV. DVT and pulmonary embolism: Part I. Diagnosis. Am Fam Physician. 2004;69(12):2829-2836.
Vandenbroucke JP, Rosing J, Bloemenkamp KWM, Middeldorp S, Helmerhorst FM, Bouma BN. Oral contraceptives and the risk of venous thrombosis. N Engl J Med. 2001 May 17;344:1527-1535.
5/4/2015 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Scott G, Mahdi AJ, et al. Superficial vein thrombosis: a current approach to management. Br J Haematol. 2015 Mar;168(5):639-45.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 06/2015 -
- Update Date: 05/04/2015 -