Acute Cerebellar Ataxia
Acute Cerebellar Ataxia
|Cerebellum (Darker Pink Section)|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Viral infections, such as chickenpox , Coxsackie virus, Epstein-Barr, or HIV
- Bacterial infections such as Lyme disease
- Exposure to certain toxins, such as lead , mercury , thallium, alcohol , and organophosphates found in insecticides
- Cerebellar hemorrhage, abscess, blood clot, or obstruction of an artery
- Paraneoplastic syndromes—occurs when the immune system attacks the cerebellum in the area of a cancer
- Certain vaccinations
- Uncoordinated movements of the limbs or trunk
- Clumsiness with daily activities
- Difficulty walking
- Speech disturbances with slurred speech and changes in tone, pitch, and volume
- Visual complaints
- Abnormal eye movements
- Nausea and vomiting
- Changes in mental state, such as personality or behavioral changes
- Chaotic eye movements
- Difficulty swallowing
- Lumbar puncture
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- IV immune globulin
- Plasma exchange therapy
- Medications to improve muscle coordination
National Ataxia Foundation http://www.ataxia.org
National Institutes of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov
Canadian Institutes of Health Research http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Cerebellar ataxia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated June 27, 2014. Accessed November 18, 2014.
Cerebellar disorders. Patient UK website. Available at: http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/cerebellar-disorders. Updated July 29, 2014. Accessed November 18, 2014.
FAQ. University of Chicago Ataxia Center website. Available at: http://ataxia.uchicago.edu/page/faq. Accessed November 18, 2014.
Ishikawa N, Kobayashi M. Recurrent acute cerebellar ataxia associated with anti-cardiolipin antibodies. Brain Dev. 2010;32(7):588-591.
Mehta SH, Morgan JC, Sethi KD. Paraneoplastic movement disorders. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2009;9(4):285-291.
NINDS encephalopathy information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/encephalopathy/encephalopathy.htm. Updated November 9, 2010. Accessed November 18, 2014.
Stumpf DA. Acute ataxia. Pediatr Rev. 1987;8;303-306.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -