Herpes Zoster Vaccine
Herpes Zoster Vaccine
What Is Herpes Zoster?
- Painful skin that turns into a rash
- A rash of red, painful blisters
- Rash often occurs only on one side of the body
- Blisters that break open, then scab over
- Fever, headache, chills
- Abdominal discomfort
What Is Herpes Zoster Vaccine?
Who Should Get Vaccinated and When?
What Are the Risks Associated With the Herpes Zoster Vaccine?
- Common, minor side effects, such as local soreness, swelling, or itching
- Less common, moderate side effects, such as headache
- Rarely, anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction marked by hives, facial or tongue swelling, and difficulty breathing
Who Should Not Get Vaccinated?
- Have a weakened immune systems due to medications or other health conditions.
- Have an allergy to gelatin or neomycin.
- Are moderately or severely ill. Wait until you have recovered.
- Are or may be pregnant.
What Other Ways Can Shingles Be Prevented Besides Vaccination?
What Happens in the Event of an Outbreak?
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
American Academy of Dermatology http://www.aad.org
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov
Shingles (herpes zoster). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/index.html. Updated January 10, 2011. Accessed November 19, 2013.
Shingles vaccine: What you need to know. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/shingles.pdf. Updated October 6, 2009. Accessed November 19, 2013.
Tseng HF, Liu A, et al. Safety of zoster vaccine in adults from a large managed care cohort: a vaccine safety datalink study. J Intern Med. 2011 Oct 25.
Tseng HF, Smith N, et al. Evaluation of the incidence of herpes zoster after concomitant administration of zoster vaccine and polysaccharide pneumococcal vaccine. Vaccine. 2011;29(20):3628-3632.
Zoster. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated July 22, 2013. Accessed November 19, 2013.
Zoster vaccine live. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated February 4, 2013. Accessed November 19, 2013.
- Reviewer: David Horn, MD
- Review Date: 11/2013 -
- Update Date: 11/19/2013 -