(Neurilemoma; Vestibular Schwannoma; Acoustic Schwannoma)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Age: 30-60 (average age of diagnosis is 50)
- History of the disease neurofibromatosis type 2 (NF2)
- Family history of NF2
- Gradual hearing loss in one ear with near normal hearing in the other ear
- Decrease in sound discrimination, especially when talking on the telephone
- Ringing in the affected ear, called tinnitus
- Balance problems
- Facial numbness and tingling
- Weakness of the facial muscles on the side of the tumor
- Audiogram—a test that measures hearing in both ears
- Auditory brainstem response test—a test that measures the rate of electric impulses traveling from the inner ear to the brainstem, almost always abnormal in the presence of an acoustic neuroma
- Electronystagmography—Cold and warm water or air is inserted in the ear canal, and the resulting dizziness and rapid eye movement are recorded.
- MRI scan—a test that uses magnetic waves to make pictures of the inside of the head
- CT scan—a type of x-ray that uses a computer to make pictures of the inside of the head
Acoustic Neuroma Association http://www.anausa.org
American Academy of Audiology http://www.audiology.org
Canadian Academy of Audiology http://www.canadianaudiology.ca
The College of Family Physicians of Canada http://www.cfpc.ca
Acoustic Neuroma. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated July 18, 2012. Accessed August 30, 2012.
American Hearing Research Foundation. Available at: http://american-hearing.org/disorders/acoustic-neuroma. Accessed August 30, 2012.
Vestibular Disorders Association. Available at: http://vestibular.org/acoustic-neuroma. Accessed August 30, 2012.
Merritt H, Rowland L. Merritt’s Neurology. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2000.
What is acoustic neuroma? Acoustic Neuroma Association website. Available at: http://www.anausa.org/index.php/overview/what-is-acoustic-neuroma. Accessed July 9, 2009.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 10/2012 -
- Update Date: 10/11/2012 -