Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
(CFS; Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome)
|Central Nervous System and Organs Including Endocrine Glands|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Unexplained, new onset, persistent fatigue that is not relieved with bed rest and often worsens with physical or mental activity
- Unexplained muscle aches
- Joint pain without swelling or redness over six months
- Headaches over six months
- Trouble with short-term memory or concentration a "brain fog"
- Forgetfulness or confusion
- Irritability, anxiety , panic attacks, mood swings, or depression
- Sore throat over six months
- Tender lymph nodes over six months
- Trouble sleeping or not feeling refreshed after sleep over six months
- Visual disturbances (eyes sensitive to light, blurring, pain)
- Reduced activities (social, job-related, educational, and personal)
- Dizziness, balance problems, or fainting
- Brain fog
- Chills and night sweats
- Allergies or sensitivities to foods , chemicals, odors, medications, or noise
- Severe, chronic fatigue for at least six months that is not due to another illness or medical cause, along with:
At least four of the following symptoms according to the International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group Criteria:
- Impairment of short-term memory or concentration
- Sore throat
- Tender lymph nodes
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain without swelling or redness
- Headaches of a new type, severity, or pattern
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Prolonged fatigue lasting 24 hours or more after exercise
Diet and Nutrition
- Anti-anxiety drugs
- Over-the-counter medication like acetaminophen, aspirin, and ibuprofen—to treat pain and fever
- Stimulants—mild ones may be helpful
- Sedatives—to help with insomnia
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov/
Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome Association of America http://www.cfids.org/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
Women's Health Matters http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. American Academy of Family Physicians Familydoctor website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/chronic-fatigue-syndrome.html . Updated November 2010. Accessed December 28, 2012.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/index.html . Updated May 16, 2012. Accessed December 28, 2012.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated November 10, 2012. Accessed December 28, 2012.
Craig T, Kakumanu S. Chronic fatigue syndrome: evaluation and treatment. Am Fam Physician. 2002;65(6):1083-1090.
Darbishire L, Ridsdale L, Seed PT. Distinguishing patients with chronic fatigue from those with chronic fatigue syndrome: a diagnostic study in UK primary care. Br J Gen Pract. 2003;53(491):441-445.
Prins JB, Bleijenberg G, Bazelmans E, et al. Cognitive behaviour therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome: a multicertre randomized controlled trial. Lancet. 2001;357(9259):841-847.
Reeves WC, Wagner D, Nisenbaum R, et al. Chronic fatigue syndrome—a clinically empirical approach to its definition and study. BMC Medicine. 2005;3:19.
Reid S, Chalder T, Cleare A, et al. Chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Evid. 2004;(12):1578-1593.
Rimes KA, Chalder T. Treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome. Occup Med. 2005;55:32-39.
3/3/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : White P, Goldsmith K, Johnson A, et al. Comparison of adaptive pacing therapy, cognitive behaviour therapy, graded exercise therapy, and specialist medical care for chronic fatigue syndrome (PACE): a randomised trial. Lancet. 2011 Feb 17.
10/1/2013 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Patterson E, Wan YW, Sidani S. Nonpharmacological nursing interventions for the management of patient fatigue: a literature review. J Clin Nurs. 2013 Oct;22(19-20): 2668-78.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/15/2014 -