Groin Hernia -- Adult
(Hernia, Groin—Adult; Hernia, Inguinal—Adult; Inguinal Hernia—Adult; Hernia, Femoral—Adult; Hernia, Femoral—Adult; Femoral Hernia—Adult)
- Inguinal hernia—appears as a bulge in the groin (or scrotum area in men); this is the most common type
- Femoral hernia—appears as a bulge in the groin, upper thigh, (or labia in women)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Wear and tear on abdominal wall from frequent lifting of heavy objects, or prolonged coughing or straining
- Previous surgery in the abdominal area
- Family history of hernia
- Peritoneal dialysis
- A bulge in the groin area when standing or straining
- A bulge in the upper thigh area
- Pain in the groin area when straining
- A bulge that may extend into the scrotum in men or the labia in women
- Pain and/or a heavy feeling or discomfort in the groin area
- Severe pain in the groin or abdomen
- Abdominal swelling
American College of Physicians http://www.acponline.org
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
Canadian Institute for Health Information http://www.cihi.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Garvey JF, Read JW, et al. Sportsman hernia: what can we do? Hernia. 2010;14(1):17-25.
Groin hernia in adults and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated November 6, 2014. Accessed January 14, 2015.
Groin hernia: inguinal and femoral repair. American College of Surgeons website. Available at: https://www.facs.org/~/media/files/education/patient%20ed/hernrep.ashx. Updated May 2013. Accessed March 16, 2015.
Hawn MT, Itani KM, et al. Patient-reported outcomes after inguinal herniorrhaphy. Surgery. 2006;140:198-205.
Inguinal hernia. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/inguinalhernia/inguinalhernia.pdf. Updated May 2014. Accessed January 14, 2015.
Inguinal/femoral hernia. American College of Surgeons website. Available at: http://www.facs.org/public%5Finfo/operation/brochures/hernrep.pdf. Updated May 2013. Accessed January 14, 2015.
Laurence I, Ngan-Soo E, et al. The role of multi-detector computed tomography in imaging hernias. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2011;72(2):72-77.
3/16/2015 DynaMed Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Fitzgibbons RJ Jr, Forse RA. Clinical practice. Groin hernias in adults. N Engl J Med. 2015 Feb 19;372(8):756-763. Available at: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMcp1404068. Accessed March 16, 2015.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 01/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/16/2015 -