|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Almond-shaped eyes
- Strabismus (misalignment of the eyes)
- Thin upper lip
- Downturned mouth
- Narrow forehead
- Difficulty feeding
- Failure to thrive (not growing as expected)
- Decreased muscle tone
- Decreased reflexes
- Inability to suck well
- A weak, squeaky cry
- Delay of normal development, such as language skills and walking
- Behavior problems, such as temper tantrums and stubbornness
- Short stature compared to family
- Increased appetite leading to early-onset obesity
- Insatiable hunger, resulting in compulsive eating and often obesity
Continuing behavior problems, such as:
- Anger and inflexibility
- Difficulty with transitions
- Mood swings
- Obsessive-compulsive habits
- Learning disabilities
- Low to normal IQ
- Incomplete sexual development, and infertility as an adult
- Sleep problems
- Tire easily
- High threshold for pain
- Insensitivity to temperature extremes
Appetite and Weight Management
Behavior Issue Management
- Daily structure and routine
- Firm rules
- Rewards for good behavior
- Psychotropic drugs may be necessary
March of Dimes http://www.modimes.org
Prader-Willi Syndrome Association http://www.pwsausa.org
Foundation for Prader-Willi Research http://www.onesmallstep.ca/
The Hospital for SICK Kids http://www.sickkids.ca/
McCandless SE, Committee on Genetics. Clinical report-health supervision for children with Prader-Willi syndrome. Pediatrics. 2011;127(1):195-204.
Missouri Developmental Disability Resource Center website. Available at: http://www.moddrc.org/ .
Prader-Willi syndrome. American Family Physicians website. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0901/p827.html . Published September 2005. Accessed December 13, 2012.
Prader-Willi syndrome. Brain Foundation website. Available at: http://brainfoundation.org.au/a-z-of-disorders/48-prader-willi-syndrome . Accessed December 13, 2012.
Prader-Willi syndrome. Foundation for Prader-Willi Research website. Available at: http://fpwr.org/about-prader-willi-syndrome . Accessed December 13, 2012.
Smith’s Recognizable Patterns of Human Malformation . 6th ed. Elsevier Saunders, 2006.
Wattendorf DJ, Muenke M. Prader-Willi syndrome. Am Fam Physician . 2005; 72(5):827-830.
5/17/2012 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Siemensma EP, Tummers-de Lind van Wijngaarden RF, et al. Beneficial effects of growth hormone treatment on cognition in children with Prader-Willi syndrome: a randomized controlled trial and longitudinal study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Apr 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -