The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will also be done.
Tests to diagnose hepatitis may include the following:
- Blood tests—Your blood is checked for the presence of hepatitis antigens and antibodies. Antigens are foreign proteins that are part of the hepatitis viruses. Antibodies are proteins that your body has made to fight the infectious agents.
- Liver function studies—The levels of various liver enzymes, bilirubin, and clotting factors in your blood are measured to determine how your liver is functioning.
- Liver biopsy —A sample of liver tissue is removed and examined under a microscope.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 03/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/15/2015 -