Serving Size ½ of recipe
Total Fat 9.5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Sodium 575 mg
Total Carbohydrate 49 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Protein 30 g
Ingredients and Preparation
Reduced-sodium vegetable stock 1 1/3 cups
Small yellow onion, minced ½
Olive oil 2 teaspoons
Short- or medium-grain rice ½ cup
Salt ¼ teaspoon
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Dry white wine (reduced-fat vegetable stock can be substituted here) ¼ + ½ cup
Butter 2 teaspoons
Large scallops ½ pound
All-purpose flour 1 ½ tablespoons
Garlic, minced 1 clove
- Heat stock in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté 2-3 minutes, until tender. Then add rice and continue sautéing 2-3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and ¼ cup wine; stir; and let cook until wine evaporates.
- Begin adding warmed stock, 1/3 cup at a time, stirring often. When the stock has almost evaporated, add another 1/3 cup, until you have used all of the stock. It will take approximately 25-35 minutes until the risotto is cooked. (It should be tender, but have a slight bite to it.)
- Meanwhile, heat butter in another large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge scallops in flour and add to skillet, cooking 2-3 minutes per side, until golden and just cooked through. Add garlic, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 1-2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant. Remove scallops and set aside.
- Add ½ cup wine to the skillet with garlic, and cook 4-5 minutes, scraping brown bits off the bottom of the pan, until the wine has reduced by half and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve scallops over risotto and drizzle with wine sauce.